[ensembl-dev] homo_sapiens_variation_62_37g

Stuart Meacham sm766 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 13 09:49:42 BST 2011

Hi guys,

I have a few queries. I am trying to incorporate the latest Ensembl
release into RoboSNP. Basically I use 5 tables from
homo_sapiens_variation_62_37g (allele, sample, subsnp_handle,
transcript_variation and variation_feature). There seems to have been a
number of seemingly arbitrary changes to the schemas.

For example in the transcript_variation table the consequence_type field
has been renamed consequence_types, yet this has not been followed
through in the variation_feature table which still has a field  called
consequence_type. Also in transcript_variation we find
peptide_allele_string is now called pep_allele_string. The
transcript_stable_id is now rather confusingly called feature_stable_id.
What is the rationale for these changes? I understand you need to update
things as more, and more refined data, becomes available but shouldn't
the default policy be 'conservation' so as the break as few things as
possible?

Cheers

Stuart