[ensembl-dev] Codelink probe list...incomplete?

William Michels michelsw at anesthesia.ucsf.edu
Tue May 10 20:08:00 BST 2011

Hi Ensembl people,

We've recently begun using the "Codelink" microarray platform to
analyze whole genome gene expression in rat. This product was
developed by Amersham/GE_Healthcare, and is still being manufactured
to this day by a spin-off company named Applied Microarrays (Tempe,
AZ, USA). I have no affiliation with the company. The Rat Whole
Genome platform file is GPL2896. We chose this platform as a 'first
pass' to check gene expression levels relative to certain treatment
regimes, with an eye towards KEGG or GO style pathway analysis.

Because of the age of the chipset relative to the Rat Genome
sequencing efforts at the time (~2005), many thousands of the probes
were solely identified by EST identifiers. Now many years later,
thousands of the probes are still solely identified by EST identifiers.

My question is whether there is an Ensembl effort underway to update
these whole-genome platform files (human, mouse, rat), specifically
GPL2896??? The computational resources required to BLAST identify
unknown genes for tens of thousands of EST sequences seems far beyond
the capabilities of a simple end user. Furthermore the lack of a full
per-gene information record ('hole-y data') makes it very difficult
if not impossible to do pathway analysis.

Any advice appreciated,

Best Regards, Bill.

William Michels, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Biochemist