[ensembl-dev] next gen sequencing mapping data

Hardip Patel H.Patel at victorchang.edu.au
Fri Mar 18 06:13:26 GMT 2011

Hi All

I was wondering if anybody has tried or has opinions about using mysql tables of Ensembl to store next gen sequencing mapping data. Our lab works on variety of projects (small RNA, transcriptome, methylation, genome resequencing) in  human and mouse.

I was interested in putting all our mapping data coming from different projects in one place organized according to the respective genomes.

Main reasons being we can interrogate our data in terms of Ensembl annotations of the genomes and compare various data from these two species using one co-ordinate system.

For example, if I have miRNA sequencing data from human and mouse. Then I would like to see if the transcripts present in human are also present in mouse in my dataset for corresponding genomic locations, using genomic alignments as the basis for such comparisons and draw meaningful information out of it.

I would also appreciate if somebody can point me in the right direction in terms of what tables need to be updated, and how to go about it.

Kind regards

--
Hardip R. Patel
Bioinformatician, Molecular Genetics Division,