[ensembl-dev] Variant effect predictor and local database

Henrikki Almusa henrikki.almusa at helsinki.fi
Fri Jun 17 10:46:24 BST 2011

Hi,

I was trying to put the variant effect predictor to run in cluster and
parallelise each chromsome to their own job. I got it running but soon
encountered a problem with database. I got connection error to database
on some of the runs. If I run without whole_genome I got some results
before the execution failed. The log of the error can be seen in attachment.

After a quick peek on the database server, it was noticed that the
amount of inactive connections went up dramatically. At around 32k
inactive connections, the errors started and executions failed. One
execution alone generated thousands of inactive connections, but managed
to finish before they grew too far.

Why does this generate that huge number of connections? Is there a way
to not do that as this means that I cannot use this tool in automatic
fashion (as more than one or two cannot be running at the same time).

Thanks,
--
Henrikki Almusa