[ensembl-dev] Question about gene build pipeline - similarity build

mr6 mr6 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jun 10 10:02:01 BST 2011

Hi Wenkai,

We still use this method for genewise alignments of uniprot proteins.
Genscan tends to overpredict gene structures, which means the likelihood of
missing a region where there is a gene is fairly low.
For other alignments using genewise, we still target specific regions of
the genome but using different tools than Genscan, for example Pmatch.

Also, we use other alignment tools like exonerate, which will be
genome-wide.

By combining different approaches, we try to make sure that what will be
missed out by one will be recovered by an other.

Hope that helps,
mag