[ensembl-dev] Regarding using of local copy of variation database

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 10:09:41 BST 2011

Hello,

It is possible to use any combination of local and remote databases;
you just need to specify them in your registry file, as you have done.

However, I notice in your registry file the core database you specify
is very old (homo_sapiens_core_47_36i) - it is important that you use
the same version as both the variation database and the API that you
have installed. You should instead use homo_sapiens_core_63_37.

If you need to use a database that is still on the NCBI36 assembly,
then you will need to use release 54 (and download the appropriate
variation database and API).

To use the registry file in your script, you use the load_all() method
in the Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry module:

# load registry from config file
my $reg = 'Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry';
$reg->load_all('ensembl_registry.conf');

# now we can get any adaptors we need from $reg
my $va = $reg->get_adaptor("human", "variation", "variation");
my $vfa = $reg->get_adaptor("human", "variation", "variationfeature");

Hope this helps

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation