[ensembl-dev] EnsEMBL SOAP / Rest services?

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 18:13:48 BST 2011

On 14 July 2011 16:03, Glenn Proctor <glenn at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Dan
>
> Not at the moment, but a REST interface (probably a wrapper around the
> Perl API) is something that we're actively considering.

I see. From what I've read, it seems to be a straightforward (but big) task.

> We're interested in possible use-cases; can you give us some more
> details on what you want to do?

Our plan is to create a little chrome extension (JavaScript) that
queries the population specific allele frequency for a given SNP ID
from EnsEMBL. The idea is to use the extension to add information to
the reports provided by 23andMe, which lack population frequency data.

You can see an example here:
https://www.23andme.com/health/Caffeine-Metabolism/

The chrome extension should be able to pick up the rsID from the
report, query EnsEMBL for the population frequencies and then
dynamically add another column to the table in the report. (I've
attached a mock up of the idea).

Since there is no JavaScript API(!) we figured the next best thing
would be to build a web service for what we want on top of the Perl
API (I'm assuming there are JavaScript SOAP / REST libraries).

Cheers,
Dan.