[ensembl-dev] Perl BLOBs in the ensembl compara database

Paul Flicek flicek at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 17:46:58 GMT 2011

Although we do the best we can to make everything accessible, making everything completely independent of the architecture that we run on is not really feasible given our level of funding, priorities, etc.

Our goal with the database and API code is to serve bioinformaticians wanting to do biological analysis (rather than those wanting to write alternate API implementations :).

That said, in the medium term we will take a look at ways that we can further generalise the code and how to access the data.

Paul