[ensembl-dev] variation synonyms

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 16:21:56 GMT 2011

Hi Andrea,

Aside from a little confusion over IDs here, I think what you are seeing is
a consequence of lag between dbSNP and Ensembl.

Ensembl has dbSNP version 130 for cow:

mysql> select name, version from source;
+-------+---------+
| name  | version |
+-------+---------+
| dbSNP |     130 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

What you see on dbSNP's website is version 131.

rs43654640 is given as having a position of 1955248; this is the same
position as was given for rs43654637 in version 130, hence they are merged.

It looks like the position for rs43654637 has now changed to 1955254, so
when we import dbSNP 131 they should appear as separate SNPs.

We merge SNPs based on positions (almost always provided to us by dbSNP); we
do not explicitly consider the flanking sequence here for speed.

Will