[ensembl-dev] Single nucleotide exons

Michael Schuster michaels at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 10:33:03 GMT 2011

Dear Miklos,

Most, if not all of these single base pair exons are biologically not
real. There are, however, cases of some very short exons spanning just
6 bp, which are sufficiently substantiated by cDNAs and ESTS.

A quick analysis of the up-coming human gene set (not publicly
available yet) showed that the set contains 83 single base pair exons
out of 615132 total exons. Of those, the Havana group at the WTSI has
manually annotated 41 cases and all those exons are either the first
or last exon in a Transcript. Generally, the Havana group will push
out transcript annotation for as long as they find support from
protein, cDNA or EST alignments. In those cases it is clear that the
transcript structure is not complete, nevertheless there is not enough
support for a longer exon model.

This has also implications on the assignment of translations, which
sometimes do not start or end at codon boundaries. I explained this in
more detail in a previous post:

http://lists.ensembl.org/pipermail/dev/2011-January/000765.html

The up-coming gene set also includes 39 exons that have been annotated
by the automated Ensembl genome analysis and annotation pipeline.
These cases seem to be caused by problematic supporting evidence
(cDNAs or proteins). I'll give two examples for illustration:

Transcript PIK3C2B-201 (ENST00000391949) has a single-base pair exon
and is based on cDNA CR749201.1, which can be seen on the "Supporting
Evidence" panel.

http://feb2011.archive.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/Summary?db=core;g=ENSG00000133056;r=1:204391770-204403586;t=ENST00000391949

http://feb2011.archive.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/SupportingEvidence?db=core;g=ENSG00000133056;r=1:204391770-204403586;t=ENST00000391949

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/data/view/CR749201.1

Aligning the cDNA to the genomic sequence with exonerate, it turns out
that the cDNA has an insertion near the splice site of intron 3:

    243 : GCCTCAGGATACAGAGGCCAATGCCACTACCTACTTCACTAG  >>>> Target
Intr :   285
  85315 :
GCCTCAGGATACAGAGGCCAATGCCACTACCTACTTCACTAGgt................ : 85271

    286 : on 3 >>>>
GTTGATTCTGGCCTCTGTGGTAGGAGGCAGGGAGAGTAAGACATGCTCT :   333
                   ++| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  85270 : .........agG-
TGATTCTGGCCTCTGTGGTAGGAGGCAGGGAGAGTAAGACATGCTCT : 76639

Aligning the corresponding protein Q68E11 with Genewise, this
algorithm introduces a single-base pair exon to cope with the
insertion in the cDNA and that is also the basis for our transcript
model.

Q68E11.1          81 RPQDTEANATTYFT
                      RPQDTEANATTYFT
                      RPQDTEANATTYFT           R:R[aga]
AL606489.26   -85317 accgaggagaattaAGGTAAAAT  Intron 3       TAAA
                      gcaacacacccatc  <2-----[85273  :  80410]-2>
                      gtgtagctctccct

Q68E11.1          96                            LILASVVGGRESKTCSAVSSSG
                                                 +ILASVVGGRESKTCSAVSSSG
                                                 VILASVVGGRESKTCSAVSSSG
AL606489.26   -80408 GTAACTA  Intron 4       CAGgacgtggggagaaattggtttg
                      <0-----[80408  :  76687]-0>tttccttgggagacgcctcccg
                                                 gtgctgaacggtgacttctcta

Because this insertion is right next to s splice site, it can be
problematic to model for alignment algorithms and they can sometimes
get this wrong.

Transcript MIER1-204 (ENST00000371018) is another case and according
to the supporting evidence panel, is based on the manually annotated
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot sequence Q8N108-8.

http://feb2011.archive.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/Summary?db=core;g=ENSG00000198160;r=1:67390642-67454302;t=ENST00000371018

http://feb2011.archive.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/SupportingEvidence?db=core;g=ENSG00000198160;r=1:67390642-67454302;t=ENST00000371018

http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/Q8N108

Checking the alignments in this particular case, it turns out that
neither algorithm can align the protein to the genomic regions
successfully. In fact, the Genome Reference Consortium (GRC) has
already flagged the BAC clone that is the base of the genome assembly
in this region, as problematic. See GRC case number HG-379.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/genome/assembly/grc/issue_detail.cgi?id=HG-379

Hence it looks like, in this case we had good supporting evidence from
a manually curated UniProtKB-SwissProt sequence, but the underlying
genome sequence is problematic, which again caused the alignment
algorithm to insert a single-base pair exon to cope with sequence
imperfections and mismatches.

The upshot is that we are aware of this and that we are actively
aiming to resolve these (few) remaining issues. We do this via the
GRC, by fixing, re-sequencing and updating the genome sequence. You
may have noticed that several patches to the GRCh37 assembly have
already gone in. Another approach we take is reporting problematic
cDNAs and proteins to upstream data resources to help cleaning these
databases.

I hope this explains a bit of background to these mini-exons and also
mini-introns, for that matter.

Best regards,
Michael Schuster