[ensembl-dev] Retrieval of aligned transcripts using API

Gregory Jordan greg at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 10:00:39 GMT 2011

You don't need to run an alignment for this task, as the relative position
of each transcript is well-defined by its genomic coordinates. What you
could do is extract each transcript in genomic space:

1) Collect the DNA sequence covering the entire gene
2) Replace any bases which are NOT exons in the current transcript with gap
characters

This will get you 4 strings of the same length but different patterns of
gaps and characters. Finally, treating these strings as your alignment, just
remove any columns which have a gap in all of the sequences. I think that
would yield the result you're looking for.

greg