[ensembl-dev] ensemblgenomes compara databases

Bert Overduin bert at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 12:48:43 GMT 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM, PATERSON Trevor <
trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Ta thats very helpful
>
> 1) I take it species.division isn't listed for ensembl.org databases
> because they all belong to the 'multi' group.
>
> 2) Regards the second point: I don't think each compara database contains
> pairwise comparisons between all members
>
> For example in bacteria a cursory examination suggests that all members of
> the ecoli collection are compared with each other - but not with members of
> the bacillus collection
>
> So, in the case of no homology being found for a gene,  I think you have to
> pull out the species_sets to know whether a comparison was done....

Orthology / paralogy predictions are done between all species of a database.
Genomic alignments only between certain combinations of species.

> 3) In  the Pan compara database - I take it you just need to look and see
> which species are in it (in genome_db), to know whether you can search a
> species for homologies...

You can find the list here:

http://metazoa.ensembl.org/info/docs/compara/homology_method.html

(end of page)

> Thanks again
>
> Trevor Paterson PhD
> email trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk
>
> Bioinformatics
> The Roslin Institute
> The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
> University of Edinburgh
> Scotland EH25 9PS
> phone +44 (0)131 5274197
> http://bioinformatics.roslin.ed.ac.uk/

> The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland
> with registration number SC005336
> Disclaimer:This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended
> solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you
> have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.

Bert Overduin, Ph.D.
Vertebrate Genomics Team

EMBL - European Bioinformatics Institute
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~bert