[ensembl-dev] Variant effect predictor -- too many database connections

Henrikki Almusa henrikki.almusa at helsinki.fi
Fri Aug 19 13:16:23 BST 2011

On 2011-06-17 21:47, Michael Yourshaw wrote:
> When running the variant effect predictor on a local database, I see
> that it establishes around 20,000 connections to the SQL server. Running
> multiple instances simultaneously will overwhelm the server causing a
> can’t-connect exception.
>
> If I comment out this line, there are only 2 conections
> #$reg->set_disconnect_when_inactive();
>
> I understand the purpose of that setting, but I wonder if the
> disconnects are not actually taking place, yet the program establishes a
> new connection for each query.

I had this same problem with v2.0 and by commenting the line above I
could remove the issue. Now that I updated to v2.1 (and ensembl 63) this
problem is back. However the above line is no longer in the script.

Has anybody any thoughts on what to poke fix the db connection issue in 2.1?

> Michael Yourshaw
>
> UCLA Geffen School of Medicine
> Department of Human Genetics, Nelson Lab
> 695 Charles E Young Drive S
> Gonda 5554
>
> Los Angeles CA 90095-8348 USA
>
> myourshaw at ucla.edu <mailto:myourshaw at ucla.edu>
>
> 970.691.8299
>
> This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may
> contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL, and/or may
> contain ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT. If you are not the intended recipient,
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is
> please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us
> immediately. Thank you.

Henrikki Almusa