[ensembl-dev] microRNA annotation

Marta Bleda mbleda at cipf.es
Mon Apr 18 18:31:48 BST 2011

Dear All,

I have been working with miRNA data lately and I have found
something confusing:
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Summary?g=ENSG00000129951;r=19:812518-821967

This miRNA gene has 7 transcripts and 5 of them are protein coding.
Moreover, it appears on the "reverse strand" but, according to miRBase, it
is located on chr19:813584-813653 (+ strand):
http://www.mirbase.org/cgi-bin/mirna_entry.pl?acc=MI0014231

I have seach this miRNA in NCBI and they place it in the positive strand.
Besides, they report a gene called LPPR3 (lipid phosphate
phosphatase-related protein type 3) at the same position and with the same
transcripts that we have seen in Ensembl.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/79948

I guess that Ensembl's annotation refers to LPPR3 gene instead
of hsa-mir-3187.
Please, correct me if I am mistaken.

Kind regards,

Marta