[ensembl-dev] Installing local copy of emsembl

Andrea Edwards edwardsa at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 23:48:33 BST 2010

Hi

When you create a local copy of the ensembl database, what do you call
the database? For example I want to create a database for the cow core
and variation data. Do i call them, for example, bos_taurus_core_59_4h,
which is the name of the latest release of the core database? Otherwise
I dont know how the Perl API will know the name of the database to
connect to. Perhaps I missed this is the readme but I couldn't find it.
Perhaps its too obvious to specify!

If i run the script below it prints out the database name given above
for cow so I presume that's the one you use.

my $reg = 'Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry';

$reg->load_registry_from_db(
     -host => 'ensembldb.ensembl.org',
     -user => 'anonymous'
);
my @db_adaptors = @{ $reg->get_all_DBAdaptors() };

foreach my $db_adaptor (@db_adaptors) {
     my $db_connection = $db_adaptor->dbc();

     printf(
         "species/group\t%s/%s\ndatabase\t%s\nhost:port\t%s:%s\n\n",
         $db_adaptor->species(),   $db_adaptor->group(),
         $db_connection->dbname(), $db_connection->host(),
         $db_connection->port()
     );
}

Many thanks