[ensembl-dev] variation allele population name

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 4 15:59:33 GMT 2010

Hi Will,

The methods look like this:

=head2 fetch_all_HapMap_populations

    Example     : @populations = @{$pop_adaptor->fetch_all_HapMap_populations();
    Description : Gets all populations from the HapMap project (human only!)
    ReturnType  : listref of Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::Population objects
    Exceptions  : none
    Caller      : general
    Status      : At Risk

=cut

sub fetch_all_HapMap_Populations{
    my $self = shift;

	return $self->generic_fetch(qq{ s.name like 'cshl-hapmap%' });
}

=head2 fetch_all_1KG_populations

    Example     : @populations = @{$pop_adaptor->fetch_all_1KG_populations();
    Description : Gets all populations from the 1000 genomes project
(human only!)
    ReturnType  : listref of Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::Population objects
    Exceptions  : none
    Caller      : general
    Status      : At Risk

=cut

sub fetch_all_1KG_Populations{
    my $self = shift;

	return $self->generic_fetch(qq{ s.name like '1000GENOMES%' });
}

So yes for the moment they are hard-coded - though we may also
consider adding some sort of "key population" flag to the sample table
that could be reused for other species.

There is already something similar, in the method
fetch_all_LD_Populations, which uses the sample table's display
column.

Cheers,

Will