[ensembl-dev] variation allele population name

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 4 15:01:21 GMT 2010

Hello,

You can get all the populations via a population adaptor:

my $pa = Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->get_adaptor("human", "variation",
"population");
my @all_populations = @{$pa->fetch_all()};

This will give you a very long list however, as we import all
populations from dbSNP and also have additional populations
representing tissue types from the COSMIC somatic mutation database.

Release 60 of Ensembl (due next week) will include two additional
methods that you may find interesting:

$pa->fetch_all_1KG_Populations
$pa->fetch_all_HapMap_Populations

(1KG = 1000 genomes)