[ensembl-dev] Prediction of consequence type for novel variants

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 14:02:10 GMT 2010

Hi Sung,

There is a publication referring to the system, but it does not go
into great detail on the internal workings:

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/26/16/2069.abstract

Here's an approximate flow of what happens in the API. The vast
majority of the code used is in the Core module
Bio::EnsEMBL::Utils::TranscriptAlleles.pm, mainly the methods
type_variation() and apply_aa_change():

- find overlapping transcripts (using $vf->feature_Slice and
$slice->get_all_Transcripts), then for each transcript:

- get transcript mapper and map variation's coordinates to cDNA, CDS and peptide

- any variants that don't fall in the coding sequence are classified
here (e.g. INTRONIC, UPSTREAM) and the flow ends

- if variation falls in exon (i.e. has defined CDS coordinates),
generate alternative codon(s) and resulting translation

- compare translation to reference; classify as e.g.
SYNONYMOUS_CODING, NON_SYNONYMOUS_CODING

We are currently working on an overhaul to this system which should
make it easier to comprehend by following the code.

I would recommend trying to follow through the code in Perl's
debugger, using the "perl -d" option.

Hope this helps

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation