[ensembl-dev] getting the entrez gene id from an ensembl record

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 13:29:41 GMT 2010

On 2 Dec 2010, at 12:20, Oliver, Gavin wrote:

> I would still assume the end goal should be almost the same.
>
> Over the past few weeks I have found Ensembl genes that don't map to
> either or where the two don't correspond to one another as they do
> in either Entrez or the HGNC.  Regardless of approach, I wouldn't
> expect that this is the expected outcome.

Oliver - the examples you sent were very useful, but just to
repeat - the majority of these cases were pseudogenes (not genes)
which nevertheless did have HGNC and thus EntrezGene identifiers.

Our focus is first on protein coding genes, and we want to get all
those locked down first. Then probably RNA genes. Pseudogenes get
named in a far more haphazard way.

However, we should probably look into a dedicated HGNC and EntrezGene
ID transfer for pseudogenes - if I remember correctly, we had hte
right HGNC symbol in many cases (due to Havana annotation primarily) but
we had not inherieted the EntrezGene link.

Glenn and Ian - for HGNC Symbols flagged as pseudogenes, could we bring
across the link

    Havana HGNC Assignments -> HGNC internal ID -> EntrezGene?

I presume this at least a 62 thing.