[ensembl-dev] Checking the branch version from the API

Andreas Kahari ak at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 23:23:04 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 05:16:36PM +0100, Giuseppe Gallone wrote:
> Hi Andy,

[cut]

> BTW are there any obvious licensing rules I should be aware of when
> calling some Ensembl API methods through my CPAN module (GNU
> license)?

Hi Giuseppe,

The Ensembl software is licensed under an Apache-like license.  The
software license is available here:

  http://www.ensembl.org/info/about/code_licence.html

See also the file ensembl/LICENSE in the Core API repository, it is the
same as the above link.  The license concerns mainly redistribution and
modification of the code.

There is nothing special you need to do if you're just using (calling)
the Ensembl API, unless you're redistributing the API with your code, in
which case the above link will tell you exactly what action is required.

I hope this helps,
Andreas

--
Andreas Kähäri, Ensembl Software Developer
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton