[ensembl-dev] Checking the branch version from the API

Giuseppe Gallone G.Gallone at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 17:16:36 BST 2010

Hi Andy,

I'm writing a Perl module, which should be shortly released on CPAN,
that requires installation of either set of APIs as a prerequisite
(depending on the interest of the final user: vertebrates vs.
vertebrates+metazoa).

I'm writing some perl test cases and need to account for the two
different branches ('multi' and 'metazoa') when testing the connection
through the registry. The thing is, if a user has installed the standard
branch only, the registry connection to 'metazoa' will obviously fail.
Hence the question. Is there a way through this?

BTW are there any obvious licensing rules I should be aware of when
calling some Ensembl API methods through my CPAN module (GNU license)?

Best regards
Giuseppe

On 26/08/10 17:11, Andy Yates wrote:
> Hi Giuseppe,
>
> I'm sorry to say this that there is no way to know this from the API side. Why do you need to know this?
>
> Andy
>
> On 26 Aug 2010, at 16:59, Giuseppe Gallone wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> apologies if my question has been answered elsewhere. Is there a way to check, using the API, what's the branch of the API itself? In other words I'd like to know within my script if what I have is the normal branch (eg branch-ensembl-59) or the genomes branch (eg branch-ensemblgenomes-5-58). Thanks!
>>

>> Best,
>> Giuseppe
>> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.