[ensembl-dev] cant connect to DB with perl API

Marek Szuba marek.szuba at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Sep 12 18:25:14 BST 2019

On 2019-09-12 19:09, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> $ perl ./ensemblTest.pl
> DBI connect('host=ensembldb.ensembl.org;port=3306','anonymous',...)
> failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'ensembldb.ensembl.org' (110)
> at
> /home/nthierry/Software/VariantEffectPredictor/ensembl-vep//Bio/EnsEMBL/Registry.pm
> line 1770.

It probably is not you, having just tried talking to the server using
the command-line client, it is barely responsive. Between that, the fact
that late last week it was not possible to connect to MySQL on
ensembldb.ensembl.org at all unless one was extremely lucky, and the
fact there were ~200 active processes when I looked, my guess is that it
is simply overloaded.

--
MS