[ensembl-dev] Are the IP address(es) for useastdb.ensembl.org fixed/static?

Ernst, Kevin Kevin.Ernst at cchmc.org
Wed Feb 7 22:06:30 GMT 2018

Hello all,

I'm working with the administrators of our in-house HPC cluster to make firewall exceptions for the (US East) Ensembl MySQL servers.

Our IT staff had an exception for the 'useastdb' server at one point, but apparently the IP changed, and they're only able to enact firewall exceptions based on IP addresses.

I can see that the DNS record currently points to an AWS host (or hosts). Are the corresponding IP addresses static, or are they likely to change without notice (e.g., after the next reboot or if a DHCP lease expires)?

(I know very little about AWS, but I imagine that getting a fixed IP reservation is something Amazon would want to charge you extra money for.)

Thanks for your insights.

--Kevin