[ensembl-dev] Retrieve genes via name

Christian Cole (Staff) C.Cole at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 10:48:46 BST 2016

Hi,

Last year on this very list, I was advised to use 'fetch_by_display_label' in the perl API in order to retrieve genes via their HGNC or similar name. Now, with more recent versions of the API, I note that some genes have duplicate entries: one starting with 'ENSG' and one with 'LRG_'. These IDs appear to be synonyms with respect to the gene adaptor.

Firstly, what are these LRG entries and, secondly, how do I regain the one-to-one mapping of gene names to ensemble IDs?
Many thanks,

Chris

--
Dr Christian Cole