[ensembl-dev] VEP ignoring --fasta option

Ivan Adzhubey iadzhubey at rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 8 18:47:39 BST 2016

Hi,

I think there is an issue with the VEP script configuration processing:
documentation states that you need both --hgvs and --fasta when --offline to
trigger FASTA file reading from the local cache:

http://useast.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_options.html#opt_hgvs

"To generate HGVS identifiers when using --cache or --offline you must use a
FASTA file and --fasta."

However, when --everything option is specified, VEP would fetch alleles from
the FASTA file available in the cache even in --offline mode and despite --fasta
option *not* being used. Also, --fasta is not listed in the documentation as
enabled by --everything implicitly either. However, it looks like it is
enabled.

It would actually be nice to be able to have --fasta reading disabled (as per
current documentation) even with --everything specified, especially considering
dramatic performance degradation it causes and various stability problems with
plugins. I am not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request but I
really would love to see VEP script behave exactly like it is documented now:
no --fasta option -- no FASTA cache reading. If that's not possible then the
documentation should be corrected to describe the current behavior properly.

Thanks,
Ivan

--
Ivan Adzhubey, Ph.D.