[ensembl-dev] Maintaining the Java API to Ensembl Datasources

PATERSON Trevor trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 09:50:35 GMT 2015

It might be worth advertising here that we are still maintaining our Java Ensembl API.

JEnsembl can be used to load & access all releases of Ensembl and EnsemblGenomes (back to Ensembl release 50).

For the non-bacterial datasources full backwards compatibility is provided and multiple releases can be loaded and traversed by the API.

Because the Bacterial species list is now so large we have restricted  the API Registry  to working with a single bacterial release at a time .

The JEnsembl API can be found at http://jensembl.sourceforge.net/ .

ArkMAP, our demonstration Map drawing application (http://bioinformatics.roslin.ed.ac.uk/arkmap/),  can be used to pull down and draw chromosomes from any of the Ensembl datasources and  retrieve and align homology relationships between genomes.

We intend to keep the API and ArkMAP up-do-date with Ensembl releases - but are not *currently* implementing additional functionality.

(although we would consider interesting use cases, particularly those that have potential to turn into funded collaborations).

Trevor Paterson PhD
trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk<mailto:trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk>
Bioinformatics
The Roslin Institute
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
University of Edinburgh
Easter Bush
Midlothian
EH25 9RG
Scotland UK

phone +44 (0)131 651 9157

http://bioinformatics.roslin.ed.ac.uk/

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland with registration number SC005336 Disclaimer:This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.