[ensembl-dev] Strange Ensembl/RefSeq VEP annotation for variant

Svein Tore Koksrud Seljebotn s.t.seljebotn at medisin.uio.no
Tue Dec 8 15:29:10 GMT 2015

Hi again,

thanks for your reply! This clears things up and for our use case we
need to solve this somehow.

It would be nice if we somehow could get indication of this information.
I've looked into the output from VEP, and if I understand correctly, the
REFSEQ_MATCH's "rseq_ens_no_match" flag can get us near to flagging
these kind of transcripts. However, this will include SNV differences
and not only indel (not to mention UTR differences). In our case we
don't care about the SNV differences, but the indels, potentally causing
frameshifts, are important to flag since the cDNA and amino acid codons
can be wrong.

 From the release notes of Release 79, under "Transcript attributes for
Refseq-genomic-to-mRNA comparison (Human)" [1], it says the following:

"Transcripts that do not have a perfect match between the mRNA and the
genomic sequence will get additional attributes to define what regions
(5' UTR, CDS, 3' UTR, or 'whole transcript' if there is no CDS defined)
do not align perfectly, along with a summary of the information in the
alignment (match,mismatch, indel count, total indel length)."

Is it possible to get this summary information from either VEP or
BioMart somehow? Or if it would be possible to add a new flag indicating
whether it's indel or snv differences. Either of these sources (ideally
VEP), would go a long way to solve our problems, as we can then flag
transcripts with indel differences.

Thanks again,
Svein Tore Koksrud Seljebotn

[1] http://www.ensembl.org/info/website/news.html?id=79#cat-genebuild