[ensembl-dev] VEP 76 gtf2vep

Ksenia Krasileva krasileva at ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 23 21:00:26 BST 2014

Dear developers team,

I am working towards using a custom annotation of wheat genes in variant
effect prediction with VEP.

While building cache with gtf2vep.pl, I see that my exon and transcript
features are cached, but CDS features are most likely not read correctly
(gene biotype gets re-set to 'pseudogene' by fix_transcript and there is no
translation). VEP is able to use this cache but the prediction is not
correct as there is no translation or CDS.

I tried to de-bug by running gtf2vep.pl with an example single exon gene
from Ensembl annotation for Triticum aestivum. I tried both v22 and v23
annotations and both give me the same result as before - biotype gets
re-set to 'pseudogene' in cache and there is no CDS/translation. Attached
are two test input gtfs that I am using from
Triticum_aestivum.IWGSP1.22.gff3 and Triticum_aestivum.IWGSP1.23.gff3
respectively.

The command line is below:

perl gtf2vep.pl -i test.v23.gff -f IWGSC_CSS_AB-TGAC_v1.fa -d 23 -s
wheat_custom

I appreciate your suggestions of what might be going on.

Thank you in advance,

Ksenia

Ksenia Krasileva, PhD
USDA NIFA Post Doctoral Scholar