[ensembl-dev] Disconnecting from Ensembl at random points and running in parallel

Kieron Taylor ktaylor at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 14:56:36 BST 2014

Further to my last,

We are indeed having some hardware issues which are giving you this
trouble. For the next day or two you could consider using our US mirror
database useastdb.ensembl.org on port 5306, but it will probably be a
bit slower for you.

A second option is to get a local copy of our databases running.
Depending on your working environment, you may be able to request it
from your IT people, or devote some hardware of your own. Latency plays
a big part in the performance of the Ensembl API, so it's worth
considering as an alternative to parallelising your code if you have
hardware to spare and large amounts of work to do.

Regards,

Kieron