[ensembl-dev] compara: not a valid species name (check DB and API version)

Janet Young jayoung at fhcrc.org
Sat Nov 8 01:18:11 GMT 2014

Hi there,

I'm struggling a little with something pretty basic and and hoping for some help. I'm trying to follow instructions from here:
    http://ensemblgenomes.org/info/access/api
My goal later on is to download some protist sequences, but I'm struggling simply to implement the code exactly as it is given in the instructions above.  I'm not sure if there's an access problem with the database, or if the code no longer matches the tutorial web page above.

My very short starter script is taken from the Compara section of that webpage (with a couple of print lines thrown in for troubleshooting purposes):

-----------
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;
use Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry;

print "loading registry\n";
Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->load_registry_from_db(
    -host => 'mysql.ebi.ac.uk',
    -port => 4157);

print "getting adaptor\n";
my $genome_db_adaptor = Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->get_adaptor(
    'metazoa', 'compara', 'GenomeDB');

Running the script, the registry seems to load OK, but I get this error upon getting the adaptor: