[ensembl-dev] Gene name synonyms

mag mr6 at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 14:32:58 GMT 2014

Hi Sébastien,

Your solution works if all you want are the synonyms attached to the
xref used as gene display name.
These are the synonyms displayed on the main website.

There are however more than one source used, and they can all have
additional synonyms.
For example, for human, main gene name sources are HGNC, EntrezGene and
Uniprot_gn.
Only the HGNC one, if available, will be used as gene display name, but
all 3 will have synonyms and the same name.

This is what the REST server shows:
http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/xrefs/name/human/TAF8?content-type=application/json

If you want all the possible synonyms, I would remove the condition on
the external_db.

For drosophila, FlyBaseName_gene is used to assign display names, but
flybase_gene_id are additional xrefs which have synonyms.
On the main website, genes do not display synonyms.

For C. elegans, there are only synonyms for the Uniprot translation xrefs.

Hope that helps,
Magali