[ensembl-dev] Ensembl code and MySQL 5.5

Will Chow wc2 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Sep 6 12:13:28 BST 2013

Has anyone used the Ensembl schema with MySQL 5.5 and had any issues?  Looking at the public ensembldb, its still on 5.1 so just curious.

The reason I'm asking is I'm having issues with the ensembl webcode for writing user configurations into the user tables via DBSQL/ConfigAdaptor.pm

  $dbh->do(
    'INSERT INTO configuration_details VALUES ("", ?, ?, "n", ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)', {},
    map(encode_entities($args{$_}) || '', qw(record_type record_type_id name description)), $self->servername, $self->site_type, $self->version
  );

In 5.1, inserting  ("", ?, ?, "n", ?, ?, ?, ?, ?), where the first item is an "int" and a primary key, will work.  It'll spit out some warnings in that "" is not an integer but it will work and insert the row.  In 5.5, this is not allowed, and will spit out an error, so no user config details will be written.

The fix seems trivial, but was curious if anyone else worked with 5.5 and has encountered any other issues that perhaps may need tending to.  I have not encountered any core api code issues yet.

thanks

Will