[ensembl-dev] Wrong gene description

Magali mr6 at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Oct 14 17:09:42 BST 2013

Hi Sebastien,

Xenbase uses two types of information to describe their gene models.

The first one is the gene symbol, which corresponds to what we in
Ensembl would call a display name.
The second one is the gene name, which we import as a gene description.

For the entry you are referring to, the gene symbol is 'unnamed', as
Xenbase have not manually annotated that gene.
This is what the 'Source:UniProt/SWISSPROT' part of the description
refers to.
As this entry as not yet been fully annotated, the description has been
imported from Uniprot.

We import our xenopus annotations directly from Xenbase, so rely on
their knowledge in the matter.

As for the space, I believe there is none between 'beta' and '1,3', but
the rendering makes it look like it does.
Looking the ID up on our rest service will show you the exact
description, without additional rendering.
http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/xrefs/id/ENSXETG00000008325?content-type=application/json

Hope that helps,
Magali