[ensembl-dev] question on variation API

Nathalie Conte nconte at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 13:57:37 BST 2013

hi, I am trying ot use this method in order to get only the variation I
am interested in using phenotype as a filter:
public Reference
Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::DBSQL::VariationFeatureAdaptor::fetch_all_with_phenotype_by_Slice
	(
	)

   Arg [1]    : Bio::EnsEMBL:Variation::Slice  <http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/core-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1Slice.html>  $slice
   Arg [2]    : $variation_feature_source [optional]
   Arg [3]    : $phenotype_source [optional]
   Arg [4]    : $phenotype_name [optional]
   Example    :

  my @vfs = @{$vfa->fetch_all_with_phenotype_by_Slice($slice)};

                a given slice.
                The optional $variation_feature_source argument can be used to
                retrieve only variation features from a paricular source.
                The optional $phenotype source argument can be used to
                retrieve only variation features with phenotypes provided by
                a particular source.
                The optional $phenotype_name argument can
                be used to retrieve only variation features associated with
                that phenotype - this can also be a phenotype's dbID.
   Returntype : reference to listBio::EnsEMBL::Variation::VariationFeature  <http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/variation-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1Variation_1_1VariationFeature.html>
   Exceptions : throw on bad argument
   Caller     : general
   Status     : Stable

I have 2 questions
1-I first tried to use this without any option
my $vf_adaptor = Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->get_adaptor('human',
'variation', 'variationfeature');
  my @vfs = @{$vf_adaptor->fetch_all_with_phenotype_by_Slice($human_slice)};
this is the output I get, any idea?
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Unknown column 'pf.seq_region_id' in
'where clause' at
/src/ensembl-variation/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Variation/DBSQL/VariationFeatureAdaptor.pm
line 446, <> line 2.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Unknown column 'pf.seq_region_id' in
'where clause' at
/src/ensembl-variation/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Variation/DBSQL/VariationFeatureAdaptor.pm
line 446, <> line 2.

2-the optional $phenotype_name argument can be used, where can I find a
lit of all phenotype name please?

Many thanks
Nathalie