[ensembl-dev] Getting antisense transcript of gene using sql / biomart

Henrikki Almusa henrikki.almusa at helsinki.fi
Fri Nov 8 08:59:05 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I'm delving into the antisense transcript world. I've found two slightly
different descriptions for this.

First from
http://vega.sanger.ac.uk/info/about/gene_and_transcript_types.html

Gene
Antisense. Has transcripts that overlap any coding exon of a locus on
the opposite strand, or for published instances of antisense regulation
of a coding gene.
Transcript
Antisense. Transcripts that overlap any coding exon of a locus on the
opposite strand, or for published instances of antisense regulation of a
coding gene.

Second from:
http://www.gencodegenes.org/gencode_biotypes.html
antisense Transcript believed to be an antisense product used in the
regulation of the gene to which it belongs.

Now the second implies that gene connected to antisense transcript would
be the gene that it blocks. But this conflicts which the other pages
description.

So onto the main thing. I was asked to get a list of exons which have
antisense transcript. Output would have gene name, transcript name,
antisense transcript name and exon name and coordinates. I wrote
following sql to retrieve this, but it does not give me the gene which
is "blocked" but the "gene" of antisense transcript. Any help in getting
the blocked transcript as well.

SELECT g.stable_id gene, tr.stable_id transcript, e.stable_id exon,
e.seq_region_start, e.seq_region_end, ext.rank
FROM transcript tr
   JOIN exon_transcript ext USING(transcript_id)
   JOIN exon e USING(exon_id)
   JOIN gene g USING(gene_id)
   JOIN seq_region sr ON e.seq_region_id=sr.seq_region_id
   JOIN coord_system coord USING (coord_system_id)
WHERE coord.version = 'GRCh37' AND tr.biotype = 'antisense'

Thanks,
--
Henrikki Almusa
Bioinformatician