[ensembl-dev] REST API in production?

Brett Thomas bthomas at atgu.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue May 14 17:34:29 BST 2013

Hi everyone --

We've been using the Variant Effect Predictor in a production research
pipeline for the past year. It's been invaluable - can't tell you how much
we appreciate your work.

Currently we annotate VCF files with the vep perl script (offline mode). I
was considering switching to the "fetch consequences" service over the REST
API (in a local installation).

This has worked great so far - but I know it's still in beta - so wanted to
see if there are any reasons you would caution against using this in
production. Is the REST service fairly stable at this point? Are you
confident it will be supported for the next ~2 years of ensembl releases?

Thanks again --
Brett Thomas