[ensembl-dev] RE Lesser annotation names in sscrofa in V72??

Ed gray_ed at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 24 18:35:48 BST 2013

From: Ed [mailto:gray_ed at hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 9:35 AM
To: 'Magali'; 'dev at ensembl.org'
Subject: RE: [ensembl-dev] Lesser annotation names in sscrofa in V72??

Dear Magali,

Thank you so much for responding.  Your answer seems reasonable.

I guess I was a little taken aback that a number of gene names removed were,
I believe, the preferred HUGO name for the gene.

Take for instance C4A.  By changing it to C4, it creates some confusion in
the ensembl comparative genomics section on what is mapped.  C4B seems
clearly mapped to C4B, while it looks like what is now C4 (used to be C4A)
maps to both C4A and C4B.

Another example is PDX-1, an important Gene for sure.  Recent news stories
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8584443/Pigs-could-grow-hum
an-organs-in-stem-cell-breakthrough.html ) are based on work on the PDX-1
gene.  While Hugo has the gene listed as PDX1, PDX-1 is an approved synonym
and many of the papers in academic journals use (and still use) PDX-1.

Those two were notable only with 30 second review of the eliminated names
from a single researcher.

Thank you for your consideration and explanation, however, I'd suggest you
may want to reconsider.

Best wishes,

Ed