[ensembl-dev] unable to start Ensembl server without httpd -X

Anne Parker ap5 at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Jul 8 16:20:13 BST 2013

Hi Matthew

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - we were rather busy preparing for the release last month, then your email slipped down the list. Comments below…

On 30 May 2013, at 16:58, "CLARK, MATTHEW" <MATTHEW.CLARK at pfizer.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’ve set up an Ensembl mirror and it will run seemingly fine if run with the –X debug mode on httpd (apache2)
>
> But running without this forced setting leads to httpd closeing as soon as perl.startup is finished. Before printing to the log file (with –e debug on)
>
> I have turned on these debug flags:
> General errors, Drawing code, Sd autoloader, Handler errors, Long process, Perl profiler, Tree dumps, Referer, Magic messages, Javascript debug, Memcached, External commands, Wizard messages, Verbose startup.
>
> There are no errors thrown  don’t get any appant fatal errors but it does give three warnings from the debug flags:
> UNDEF ON DATAFILE_BASE_PATH [Homo_sapiens]. Called from /opt/Ensembl/modules/EnsEMBL/Web/SpeciesDefs.pm line 309
> UNDEF ON ENSEMBL_MEMCACHED [Homo_sapiens]. Called from /opt/Ensembl/conf/perl.startup line 153
> UNDEF ON LUCENE_ENDPOINT [Homo_sapiens]. Called from /opt/Ensembl/conf/perl.startup line 239
>
> And one wanrning directly from the code
> ENSEMBL_BLAST_METHODS config unavailable at /opt/Ensembl/modules/EnsEMBL/Web/BlastView/BlastDefs.pm line 66.
>
> These warnings don’t seem to be too troubling  since i’m not using any file based data, Memcashed, lucene or blast functionality.

That's correct - the absence of these parameters won't affect your mirror. However I've never seen these warnings before, so I'm not sure what the diagnosis is.

> Are any of these features required to launch the mirror or is it something more fundamentally wrong with my apache/ensemble set up?

Definitely not the former, so I would think the latter - did you create a fresh compile of Apache with mod_perl support, as per our online instructions?

Cheers

Anne

Anne Parker
Ensembl Web Production Manager