[ensembl-dev] rsync access to ensemblgenomes vs flagship species

W. Augustine Dunn III wadunn83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 19:48:22 GMT 2013

Hey there!

I am writing a python module to mirror certain user specified species/data
types for a piece of software I am preparing.  The current README for
ftp.ensemblgenomes.org/pub ends as follows:

This site can be accessed using FTP or rsync e.g.
> rsync rsync://ftp.ensemblgenomes.org/all
> For help or advice, please contact helpdesk at ensemlgenomes.org

This does not work but it seems that it does for the standard ensembl.org site.
 Was this simply an oversight: someone forgot to enable it; or is this
never going to be allowed?

I would very much rather use rsync than wget bc I tend to trust it more.
 Can someone let me know about this, including whether I can depend on it
STAYING accessible if this was just an oversight.  Does it have to be
're-enabled' by hand after every release or something?

Thanks again,

Gus Dunn

--
In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would
be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might