[ensembl-dev] Getting import_vcf.pl working

Tchourbanov, Alexander Y - (atchourb) atchourb at email.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 27 00:38:01 GMT 2013

Dear ENSEMBL developers,

I have modified the registry in a way it was suggested as listed below:

use strict;

use Bio::EnsEMBL::Utils::ConfigRegistry;
use Bio::EnsEMBL::DBSQL::DBAdaptor;
use Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::DBSQL::DBAdaptor;
use Bio::EnsEMBL::Compara::DBSQL::DBAdaptor;

new Bio::EnsEMBL::DBSQL::DBAdaptor(
  -species => 'Homo_sapiens',
  -user    => 'atchourb',
  -pass => 'abcd1234',
  -host    => 'localhost',
  -port    => '3306',
  -dbname  => 'homo_sapiens_core_70_37'
);

new Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::DBSQL::DBAdaptor(
  -species => 'Homo_sapiens',
  -user    => 'atchourb',
  -pass => 'abcd1234',
  -host    => 'localhost',
  -port    => '3306',
  -dbname  => 'VCFdump'
);

my @aliases = ( 'H_Sapiens', 'human' );

Bio::EnsEMBL::Utils::ConfigRegistry->add_alias(
  -species => 'Homo sapiens',
  -alias   => \@aliases
);

1;

Now I am getting the following error:

Can't call method "dbc" without a package or object reference at /data/Alex/EnsemblAPI/ensembl-variation/scripts/import/import_vcf.pl line 1268.
and the application lists all the command line parameters. What do I need to change further for this simple case to work, I want to populate the database VCFdump with the variants that we have here, and all the database connectivity to the best of my knowledge should work without problems, I have been able to connect to the database with JDBC connection. Is there simple way to debug this situation to see what is missing in "dbc" object?

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Alexander