[ensembl-dev] "stable" ids of genes

PATERSON Trevor trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 10:47:57 GMT 2013

Hi.
I have a question regarding the stability of stable ids....

All of the stable_ids for genes in EnsemblBacteria release 17  seem to have changed from the Ensembl standard format - to something new and species-specific

Bacillus pumilus (strain SAFR-032): 'EBBACG00000064655'  becoming 'BPUM_0001'

Is this a one off event reflecting : or might we expect these "stable"_ids to change with every release or with each assembly release?

There does not appear to be any reference to the old ids on the website or in the database ( i.e. the web-page for BPUM_0001 gives no indication that in previous life it was EBBACG00000064655). This would make mapping any historical analyses/data to the current IDs problematic...

cheers Trevor
Trevor Paterson PhD
trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk<mailto:trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk>
Bioinformatics
The Roslin Institute
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
University of Edinburgh
Easter Bush
Midlothian
EH25 9RG
Scotland UK

phone +44 (0)131 651 9157

http://bioinformatics.roslin.ed.ac.uk/

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland with registration number SC005336
Disclaimer:This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.