[ensembl-dev] searching for genes by description field?

Adam Witney awitney at sgul.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 10:24:34 GMT 2013

Hi,

Is there a method to search the Gene description field. I am currently
using fetch_all_by_external_name, but this only works if the gene has
been annotated with gyrA:

my $genes = $dba->get_GeneAdaptor()->fetch_all_by_external_name('gyrA');

What I would like to be able to do is search the data returned by the
description method ($gene->description), is this possible? eg something
like this:

my $genes = $dba->get_GeneAdaptor()->fetch_all_by_description('%gyrase%');

Thanks

Adam