[ensembl-dev] Git Migration

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Dec 18 11:29:01 GMT 2013

Dear all,

I am happy to announce the completion of Ensembl's migration to Git as its primary version control system. All migrated repositories can be found at https://github.com/Ensembl. The Git repositories have been able to preserve the vast majority of our CVS history*. Our CVS repositories will continue to be updated on an infrequent cycle of releases and bugfixes for the next 3 releases. Ensembl's public SOPs will be changed in release 75 to reflect this move away from CVS.

To aid with working with so many repositories we have created a number of helper commands in the project https://github.com/Ensembl/ensembl-git-tools. This includes a new git compatible command called git-ensembl; a tool which can operate on groups of repositories such as the API, website or e!Hive. Please follow the instructions on the GitHub repository website for details about how to install and use.

I hope you'll join me in thanking all the hard work that has gone into making this possible from all members of the Ensembl project and the Anacode team at WTSI.

Andy

* You can see what the Ensembl core API looked like 12 yrs ago https://github.com/Ensembl/ensembl/tree/release/3. Only a mere 10805 commits behind the current master branch.

Andrew Yates - Ensembl Support Coordinator
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton
Cambridge CB10 1SD