[ensembl-dev] Manual curation tools

Marc Hoeppner mphoeppner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 08:22:45 BST 2013

Dear EnsEMBL list,

I am currently trying my luck again with the gene build pipeline - it's
getting there and I will probably have a few more questions soon - but
one thing I am missing is a tool for inspecting the different outputs
and progress of the pipeline graphically. The documentation suggests
Apollo as a useful tool, but I had very mixed results using it in
existing production databases (like human, chicken, pig). Specifically,
it seems to have some problems with some not-so-recent updates in the
database schema (like the gene_stable_id table, which I think was
deprecated?) and randomly hangs when loading features. Not sure if I was
just unlucky or whether this is being looked into?

Otterlace seems to be an attractive alternative, but I think that one is
designed to only work within EnsEMBL/Sanger? Any way around that and
adopt it to my local setup?

I guess my questions is what other people are using - and if there is
nothing else out there that can talk to an EnsEMBL core DB, what I could
try to get either of the two options above to work properly.

Cheers,

Marc