[ensembl-dev] VEP cache and plugin interaction

Allison Regier aregier at genome.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 21 20:15:08 BST 2012

Dear all,
Can you clarify the interaction between VEP plugins and the cache?  Here is what I am seeing:
I wrote a plugin that accesses $transcript->get_all_DBEntries().  When I run with the cache on (--cache option when running VEP), this method seems to not return anything.  However, with the cache turned off (no --cache option), the method returns db entries as expected.
Is this the expected behavior?  Is there any workaround to allow VEP to use the cache when possible but access the database if necessary for API calls in the plugin?
I am using Ensembl 67 and vep 2.5.
thanks,

Allison Regier

The Genome Institute