[ensembl-dev] Case-Sensitivity in Ensembl MySQL

PATERSON Trevor trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 15:49:17 BST 2012

Could I get some information about whether case-sensitivity is ever used in Ensembl tables and queries?

As far as I can discover none of the queries in the Perl API enforce case sensitivity by specifying a COLLATION,

(i.e. if I grep the modules for occurrences of 'COLLATE')

.. so are all columns, in all tables  of  the schema treated as case-insensitive?

Or are there any particular columns specified as case-sensitive?

Until today I was blissfully unaware that MySQL's default behaviour for non-binary string searches is to be case-insensitive.

cheers

trevor

Trevor Paterson PhD
trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk<mailto:trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk>
Bioinformatics
The Roslin Institute
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
University of Edinburgh
Easter Bush
Midlothian
EH25 9RG
Scotland UK

phone +44 (0)131 651 9157

http://bioinformatics.roslin.ed.ac.uk/

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland with registration number SC005336
Disclaimer:This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.