[ensembl-dev] protein tree id and tagvalue

Matthieu Muffato muffato at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 4 09:29:02 BST 2012

On 04/07/12 07:55, Moretti Sébastien wrote:
>> Hi !

>>> Hi

>>> Do I have also to change the adaptor like this ?
>>> my $protein_tree_adaptor = $reg->get_adaptor('Multi', 'compara',
>>> 'ProteinTree');
>>> becomes
>>> my $protein_tree_adaptor = $reg->get_adaptor('Multi', 'compara',
>>> 'GeneTree');
>>
>> Yes, only the GeneTreeAdaptor can return GeneTree objects
>
> I am a bit confused.
> What is the best between ProteinTree and GeneTree ?
>
> Am I right saying that ProteinTree has to be associated with fetch_all()
> , and GeneTree with fetch_all(-tree_type => 'tree', -member_type =>
> 'protein') ?

Hi Sébastien

The two adaptors are designed to return different kinds of objects.

Methods from the ProteinTreeAdaptor return nodes (root nodes, internal
nodes, leaves). It is a specialized version of GeneTreeNodeAdaptor to
only keep "protein" nodes in the result and discard "ncrna" nodes.

Methods from the GeneTreeAdaptor return a GeneTree object.

In the past, we did not have a GeneTree object, and a tree was instanced
by its root node. Since that, fetch_all in the ProteinTreeAdaptor had
this special behaviour: it only returned root nodes and not internal
nodes / leaves (in Ensembl, the fetch_all() method of an adaptor usually
returns everything).

To fetch all trees, both adaptors only have a fetch_all() method.
The ProteinTreeAdaptor one does not have any arguments and returns all
the root nodes. This includes trees, super-trees, and the clusterset
(the artificial tree that connects them all). You will have to filter
the result. The GeneTreeAdaptor one has more arguments and you can
select a type of tree, a type of member, etc. The ProteinTreeAdaptor
will actually be deprecated in e68. So I encourage you to use
GeneTreeAdaptor instead.

> And that an adaptor with ProteinTree will require
> $tree->tree->get_tagvalue('taxon_name')
> but an adaptor with GeneTree will require
> $tree->root->get_tagvalue('taxon_name') ???

In your example, the first variable name is a bit confusing
With ProteinTreeAdaptor, you fetch $root, and you can call
$root->get_tagvalue('taxon_name')
With GeneTreeAdaptor, you fetch $tree. Then, as you said, you can call
$tree->root->get_tagvalue('taxon_name')

Regards,
Matthieu

--
Matthieu Muffato, Ph.D.
Ensembl Developer - Comparative Genomics