[ensembl-dev] protein tree id and tagvalue

Matthieu Muffato muffato at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 3 16:22:55 BST 2012

Hi !

On 03/07/12 16:04, Moretti Sébastien wrote:
>> Hi Sébastien
>
> Hi
>
>> The fetch_node_by_node_id(1) trick might not work any more as (1) we are
>> now storing tree of trees (called "super trees" in Compara), (2) we have
>> merged the API and the SQL tables of protein and ncRNA trees.
>>
>> If you want all the protein trees as they were in the previous release,
>> please use fetch_all(-tree_type => 'tree', -member_type => 'protein')
>> from the GeneTreeAdaptor. This will return an arrayref of GeneTree
>> objects. Each tree has a stable_id and other general properties / tags.
>> Then, by calling "->root()" on a tree, you will jump to its root node,
>> on which you can call children() recursively.
>
> Do I have also to change the adaptor like this ?
> my $protein_tree_adaptor = $reg->get_adaptor('Multi', 'compara',
> 'ProteinTree');
> becomes
> my $protein_tree_adaptor = $reg->get_adaptor('Multi', 'compara',
> 'GeneTree');

Yes, only the GeneTreeAdaptor can return GeneTree objects

>> Regarding the node tags, they have been cleaned up and rationalized.
>> "Duplication" does not exist any more. Please use "node_type" instead,
>> which is one of {speciation,duplication,dubious,gene_split} and roughly
>> maps to Duplication = 0, 2, 1 (respectively). taxon_name still exists
>>
>> $protein_tree_adaptor->fetch_all returns all the roots of protein trees
>> and super-trees. You would still need to update the "Duplication" tag
>> call and filter out super-trees.
>
> So, doing this should work:
>
> my $protein_tree_adaptor = $reg->get_adaptor('Multi', 'compara',
> 'ProteinTree');
> my @children = @{$protein_tree_adaptor->fetch_all()};
>
> for my $tree (@children){
>      my $node_id  = $tree->root->node_id;
>      my $taxon    = $tree->root->get_tagvalue('taxon_name')
> }
>
> And $tree->root->get_tagvalue('node_type') to get duplication status.

Not really because the ProteinTree adaptor is used to return root nodes
(not tree objects). You can directly use "->node_id()" and
"->get_tagvalue(...)" on $tree

> Does $tree->tree->stable_id(); from API 66 work again ?

Yes, you can call ->tree() on a tree node to jump to the tree object.

To summarize the link between the two objects:
  - GeneTree::root() returns a GeneTreeNode
  - GeneTreeNode::tree() returns a GeneTree
  - GeneTreeNode::children() returns an array-ref of GeneTreeNode
  - GeneTreeNode::parent() returns a GeneTreeNode

Regards,
Matthieu