[ensembl-dev] length of HG79_PATCH

Susan Fairley sf7 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 15 10:33:47 GMT 2011

Hi,

As you mentioned, for each of the GRC assembly patches in Ensembl there
are two entries in the seq_region table. As you also noted, one of these
corresponds to a supercontig and the other a chromosome.

The supercontig is the patch scaffold/supercontig released by GRC. The
length corresponds to the length of the patch sequence. For HG79_PATCH,
this is 330,164 bases.

The chromosome is the patched version of the chromosome, i.e. what you
would get if you incorporated the patch into the chromosome it is
located on.

As you say, HG79_PATCH is located on chromosome 9 (this can be seen in
the assembly_exception table as well).

The original chromosome 9 has a length of 141,213,431 bases.

Looking in the assembly exception table or this file, provided by GRC,
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genbank/genomes/Eukaryotes/vertebrates_mammals/Homo_sapiens/GRCh37.p5/PATCHES/alt_scaffolds/alt_scaffold_placement.txt

ensro at ens-livemirror : homo_sapiens_core_64_37 >select seq_region.name,
seq_region_start, seq_region_end, exc_seq_region_start,
exc_seq_region_end from seq_region, assembly_exception where
name='HG79_PATCH' and
seq_region.seq_region_id=assembly_exception.seq_region_id;
+------------+------------------+----------------+----------------------+--------------------+
| name       | seq_region_start | seq_region_end | exc_seq_region_start
| exc_seq_region_end |
+------------+------------------+----------------+----------------------+--------------------+
| HG79_PATCH |        136049442 |      136379605 |            136049442
|          136369192 |
+------------+------------------+----------------+----------------------+--------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

we can see that the patch replaces the region of chromosome 9 from
136,049,442 to 136,369,192.

Consequently, a region of length 319,751 bases is removed from
chromosome 9 (136,369,192 - 136,049,441 = 319,751) and replaced with the
  patch.

So, chromosome 9 (141,213,431) has 319,751 bases removed (giving
140,893,680 bases) and then 330,164 bases added, giving 141,223,844 as
the length of the patched chromosome. To differentiate the patched
chromosome from the primary version of chromosome 9 it is given the same
name as the patch.

In this case, the patched version of the chromosome is 10,413 bases
longer because the patch is 10,413 bases longer than the region it
replaces. Patches can, however, also be shorter or the same length as
the regions they replace.

Also, it is worth noting that not all patches have names ending in
'_PATCH'. As you will see in the GRC file above, patches exist with
names like HSCHR3_1_CTG2_1.

To identify the patches in the database, you could use the following query:

homo_sapiens_core_64_37 >select count(*) from attrib_type,
seq_region_attrib, seq_region where attrib_type.code in
('patch_fix','patch_novel') and attrib_type.attrib_type_id =
seq_region_attrib.attrib_type_id and seq_region_attrib.seq_region_id =
seq_region.seq_region_id ;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|      105 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

This identifies both the novel and the fix patches, indicated by the
attrib_types with codes 'patch_fix' and 'patch_novel'.

Gene annotation is stored on the patch regions of the patched
chromosomes. Currently, the annotation strategy for the patches combines
three sets of annotation. Manual annotation from the Havana group is
given precedence and can be found in the core database. It is
supplemented, however, first with annotation projected from primary
assembly and subsequently with annotation built based on the alignment
of evidence to the patches. These second and third categories have
stable_ids starting with ASMPATCH and are stored in the otherfeatures
database.

The annotation for HG79_PATCH is visible in the browser here:
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Location/View?db=core;h=Q4SWC8.1%20%28802-855%29;r=HG79_PATCH:136049442-136379605

I hope this is of help.

Kind regards,
Susan.