[ensembl-dev] problems fetching data from ensembl

Amelie Stein amelie.stein at irbbarcelona.org
Tue Mar 15 14:29:00 GMT 2011

Hello,

I'm experiencing an odd problem when trying to fetch data via the
Ensembl Perl
API. My script never returns, and it cannot even connect to the registry
(e.g. using the code from
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/core/core_tutorial.html). I
can log into the mysql server directly, so establishing the connection
itself
should not be the problem. However, I cannot run all queries -- "show
databases" never returns (and indeed seems to be the problem behind
connecting
to the registry), although

  show databases like "%61%"

works fine. Could there be a problem related to the "size" of the
results? Has
anyone else experienced similar issues? A message in the Nov 2010
archives
looks like what I'm experiencing, but I could not find a solution in
that
thread. I have contacted the helpdesk, but while we could narrow down
the
problem, we haven't found a solution.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!
Amelie

PS: sorry if this is a duplicate, I've tried to send the email
yesterday already but it seems it didn't get through.